Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Mining PEW - E-Reading

Zickuhr, K. & Rainie, L.  (2014).  "E-Reading Rises as Device Ownership Jumps".  Pew Research Center's Internet & American Life Project.   Retrieved from: http://pewinternet.org/Reports/2014/E-Reading-Update.aspx

It was music to my ears when my teen daughter requested a Nook last Christmas.  I was delighted to make such a purchase.  As for myself, I read some books using the Kindle and Nook apps but I still find myself purchasing some books. 

A survey was conducted in January 2014 to find out how many American adults are reading using e-readers.  The survey was conducted by phone interview and included 1,005 adults living in the United States.  Zickuhr & Rainie found that half of American adults now own a tablet or e-reader (4).   I found it quite interesting but not surprising to learn that owners of e-readers are more likely to be white with some college education.  Tablet owners were younger than e-reader owners and overall the levels of education were higher as was the annual income.  Once again not a surprise, since electronic devices can be expensive.

The survey also asked about reading habits.  The number of American adults reading e-books has risen but very few read e-books solely.  According to Zicuhr & Rainie's survey only four percent of American readers read e-books only.  Most Americans are still reading print books and seventy-six percent of American Adults read a book in some type of format annually.    Women read more often than men and women were more likely to read an e-book or a book in print.  On average, most participants read five books per year.  The study also revealed that audiobook listeners have the most diverse reading habits (6-7).  I enjoy reading books in any format but I find myself looking for print and still needing to physically turn the page and feel the paper.  This study included only adults but I often find in my classroom that girls enjoy reading time more than the boys.  As a librarian, I hope to  motivate boys to read and help them become life long readers.

Zickuhr & Rainie concluded that older adults use mostly e-readers while younger readers access books on their cells, tablets, or computers.  They also found that people who read using e-readers read more often but were unable to determine why (11).  It would be interesting to find out more about the reasoning behind such reading habits. 

20 pages


No comments:

Post a Comment